Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Sarah Graham: My Intersex Experience


I like this a lot....


In an open letter to the South African athlete, Sarah Graham, who was born intersex, offers advice and encouragement for the years to come


"You are a very special woman: an extraordinary athlete and an inspiration to your South African nation. That has not changed and nothing the International Association of Athletics Federations tests find under their microscope will ever take that away from you.


Whatever happens in these next few weeks, whatever the truth behind all the rumours, media leaks and gossip, I promise you will discover the truth that most human beings are kind-hearted and that the human heart is by far the most important human organ; it has no gender and it's not interested in your sex.


When I was 25 I found out suddenly that I am an intersex XY woman. I have a very rare condition called androgen insensitivity syndrome (AIS). This shocking revelation, after years of lies from my doctors, nearly killed me."

No comments: